If you suffer from any of the following symptoms, you might have a temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder:
- Ringing or pain in your ears
- Migraines or chronic headaches
- Pain on the back and sides of your head
- Clicking or locking of your jaw
- Radiating pain in your neck or shoulders
- Facial pain
It is estimated that up to 75 percent of Americans experience one or more of these symptoms. Often they come and go, and then ultimately stop on their own. However, 5 to 10 percent of the cases require treatment to relieve the discomfort.
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms or other discomfort in the area of your jaw, visit Dr. Charles Martin. He has enjoyed great success in relieving the chronic pain of TMJ disorders. He has a wide array of potential treatments available to bring relief and smiles to patients at Richmond Smile Center.
After a thorough examination, x-rays, and evaluation, he will develop a treatment plan for you that may include one or several of the following therapies:
– Eating softer foods, avoiding chewing gum, and using stress management techniques may be all that is needed to relieve your discomfort.
Cold laser therapy
– This treatment improves muscle and joint inflammation by stimulating increased blood flow and cell growth, which promotes healing of the tissue and muscles.
– This therapy delivers heat to the deep tissues to relieve soreness and increase mobility.
– Massaging relieves stress and relaxes the muscles
– Gentle pressure on the proper point can relax the muscle and relieve the pain.
– Low level electrical stimulation will increase the blood flow and bring relief from the pain in some cases.
Customized oral appliances
– These appliances prevent the upper and lower teeth from coming together, which reduces the effects of grinding the teeth or clenching the jaw, they can also guide the bite into the optimal position.
Don't suffer in silence! Dr. Martin is dedicated to the wellbeing of his patients, and he can help you. He has spent his entire career helping people relieve pain, feel better, and look better. Get on the road to relief. Call 804.417.7203 today and schedule your appointment at Richmond Smile Center.
Back to TMJ Home Page