Dr. Charles Martin
What We Stand For
"I am against the status quo in dentistry. Too many people are anxious and afraid. Too many lose their teeth. Too many have dentistry that doesn’t last. Too many get way behind with their teeth and don’t know where to turn. Too many people don’t realize the huge effects of their oral health on their total body health. Too many people are robbed of the joys of living, laughing, and loving life that could be theirs. Too many people live shorter lives because of their teeth.
I am here to change all that – to make a real difference for my patients.
Dr. Charles Martin
Dr. Charles Martin is a senior diagnostician who gives his time to teach other doctors both inside and outside the practice. He utilizes his extensive training and experience to keep your teeth healthy, or, if necessary, to treat even the most challenging dental situations. He has been delivering cosmetic, implant, and functional solutions to patients for over 30 years. His commitment to “doing it right” and ability to “handle just about anything” has won him the admiration of patients and other doctors.
Dr. Martin was born in Bristol, Virginia, and grew up across the street in Bristol, Tennessee. He graduated from Virginia Tech and moved to Richmond in 1975. He met his wife, Holly, on a blind date and was married on a steamy July night in 1977. They have 5 children – 4 girls and 1 boy. An active part of the Richmond community, Dr. Martin is a member of Leadership Metro Richmond, former president of his local community association and past president of Virginia Tech Alumni of Richmond.
Post Doctoral Training
- Graduate of Virginia Tech B.S. Biology 1975
- Graduate of Medical College of Virginia School of Dentistry 1979
- Misch Implant Institute
- Dawson Center for Advanced Dental Education
- L.D. Pankey Institute
- Summa Cum Laude Graduate of Cosmetic Dentistry program at Case Western Reserve University
- Trained in many, many programs with the top dentists, both nationally and internationally
Dr. Martin has been an instructor at:
- Georgetown University School of Dentistry
- Medical College Of Virginia School Of Dentistry
- National Lecturer and Instructor for Other Dentists
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- L.D. Pankey Foundation
- Academy of General Dentistry
- International Academy of Dentofacial Esthetics
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- Richmond Dental Society
- Virginia Dental Association
- American Academy of Oral Systemic Health
Recognitions and Awards:
- Co-captain of the Virginia Tech football team
- Frank Loria award for scholarship and athletic achievement (twice)
- Recognized by the ODK National Leadership Honorary Society
- In the Who’s Who in American College and Universities.
Dental Recognitions and Awards:
This special recognition is by nomination only and includes the top facial and appearance related health care therapists and researchers in the world.
- Master in the Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellow in the American College of Oral Implantologists (Dental Implants)
- Fellow in the International Academy of Dentofacial Esthetics (Cosmetic Dentistry).
- Diplomate of the American Board of Implantology
Other Important Recognitions:
- Master in the Academy of General Dentistry.
This is a top-level honor coveted by general dentists available only to those who have first become a Fellow. It required several hundred hours of rigorous lectures and actual treatment of patients to meet its requirements.
- Diplomate of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists.
Dr. Martin is one of a very select group of Dentists awarded this international honor. He is one of the few dentists in the state to perform both the surgical and reconstructive phases of implant dentistry for over 20 years and with an impressive 90% plus success rate of treatment for that period.
Dr. Susan T. Thomas
Dr. Susan T Thomas completed her undergraduate studies in Mumbai, India, and went on to graduate from Mumbai University, India in 2003 with a B.D.S (Bachelor in Dental Surgery) degree. She ranked first in her dental school and practiced in Mumbai, India, for the next three years, working with private dental clinics, hospitals and charitable institutions to create public awareness about oral health.
Throughout her career, Dr. Thomas has given her talents and her time to help many causes and organizations, including Health care centers at the local schools of the slums of Dharavi, India, Health awareness campaigns - The Navi Mumbai Municipal Co-operation, Indus, Health checkup camps for Shiv SenaMandal, MHADA, Mumbai, India, Free medical and dental checkup & treatment camps for public schools, Kandivili, Mumbai, and Pulse polio, Typhoid & Hepatitis Vaccination Camps, Andheri, Mumbai, India.
She relocated to Houston, TX to attend UTHSC, in Houston, TX, and pursued her Master’s Degree in Public Health. Dr. Thomas’ passion for dentistry led her to New York University College of Dentistry, NY to earn her D.D.S. (Doctor of Dental Surgery) Degree. She received honors in Esthetic Dentistry. Dr. Thomas was inducted to OKU (Omicron Kappa Upsilon) a prestigious dental society that honors the top graduates in the country.
She is a member of the Omicron Kappa Upsilon (OKU), Pennsylvania Dental Association, American Dental Association, National Dental Honor Society, and Scranton District Dental Association. Before joining the Richmond Smile Center team, Dr. Thomas served as a General Dentist at Hazzouri Cosmetic and Family Dentistry, a state-of-art-practice that has been well renowned in Pennsylvania since its beginning in 1949. She spent 3 years there, garnering experience in all specialties of dentistry and patient care.
In her spare time Dr. Thomas and her husband, a cardiologist at Virginia Commonwealth University, enjoy travelling, learning about new cultures and spending time with their loved ones. They also share a common interest in music and meditation. Their ultimate goal is to give back to the community by working with charitable organizations in India and the United States to provide necessary dental and medical treatment to those in need.